Spouse/Partner Visa

What is Spouse/Partner Visa?

A Spouse/Partner visa which is often referred to as UK Marriage Visa leads to settlement in the UK.

If your partner is a qualified sponsor [British Citizen, present and settled in the UK or a UK refugee] you may get permission to live in the UK for up to 2 and a half years. This visa can be extended for another 2 and a half years.

This visa is called a Settlement visa since it is the first step towards acquiring Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) [settlement] and eventually, British Citizenship.

Following completion of 5 years, if you can prove you are in a genuine relationship and meet specific financial requirements, you may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Renewal and Extension of Partner Visa

You can renew and extend your partner Visa for another 2 years and 6 months, as long as your current status has not expired.
After you have lived in the UK for a total of 5 years, you can apply for settled status (ILR).

Eligibility Requirements

Requirements for partner Visa

Visa Application Process Time

It may take anywhere between 2 to 12 weeks for a Partner Visa application to be processed within the UK.

If you are prepared to avail and pay for the Home Office Super Priority Service, you can get a decision within 24 hours.

For Spouse visa Entry Clearance application, the processing time can vary depending on the documents provided and the country where the paperwork is being submitted from.

Supporting Documents required for the spouse/Partner visa

Make sure you have all the correct documents to support your application. It will help to ensure it’s successful and will prevent delays. Here below is a list of documents:

  1. A valid passport
  2. Your original marriage or civil partnership certificate
  3. Proof that you and your partner have been living together for at least the past two years
  4. Proof that the relationship is subsisting and genuine
  5. Proof that you are married to a British citizen, or settled person, or a Refugee
  6. Proof that you meet the income threshold
  7. You share the responsibility for your finances and your children if you have any
  8. Proof of suitable accommodation
  9. A valid certificate to meet the English language requirement

Please note that any documents that are not in English need to be accompanied by a translated version from a professional translator. All evidence must be in the exact format required by the Home Office.

We understand that proving genuine relationships and satisfying Home Office caseworkers can be very complicated and frustrating. That’s where we can advise and help you to ensure that all relevant immigration requirements are met through corroborating documentary evidence to minimize chances of visa refusal.

Financial requirements for Entry clearance/Leave to remain Application

The British spouse/partner [sponsor] is required to meet the following specific criteria:

  • The sponsor needs an income of at least £18,600 before tax, without dependents (children).
  • If you have one dependent child, you will need an income of £22,400 before tax. For any other children, the sponsor will need an extra £2,400 for each subsequent child.
  • You can support yourselves and any dependents you may have without claiming State benefits.

Visa Fee for spouse/partner visa

The Home Office’s current fee is £1,523 for applications submitted from abroad. If you are submitting your application within the UK, the fee is £1,033. There is an additional
Immigration Health Surcharge [IHS] of £1560. This fee will increase if you are applying with your dependent family members if any.

You can only apply from inside the UK if you are not here as a visitor and have been given leave to stay in the UK for more than 6 months. You cannot apply for a fiancé(e) visa from inside the UK.

Possible Additional Costs

There may be additional costs related to your application that you should consider when you submit your application. This may include the following:

  • Qualified translation services for your documents that are not in English or Welsh
  • An approved English test, that is a mandatory requirement for the majority of applicants
  • Additional fees for the Home Office!s Priority Premium Service, if you wish to receive an answer from the UKVI within five working days
  • Additional fees for the Home Office Super Priority Service if you wish to get a decision within 24 hours

Spouse Visa Accommodation Requirements

You will be required to provide proof of accommodation that meets the UK living standards.

Your British partner/spouse will need to show that he or she can provide adequate accommodation for themselves, the applicant, and any dependents.

For proof of accommodation, the Home Office will expect you to provide:

  • A description of the property
  • Proof there are enough rooms in the property to accommodate everyone
  • Evidence that you can afford to pay for your family!s accommodation
  • Proof of utility bills and council tax

Extension of Leave To Remain as a Spouse

In order to apply for an extension of leave to remain as a spouse, you will be required to meet the same requirements relating to your eligibility, suitability, relationship, financial, accommodation as at the time of first leave to remain, or entry clearance application.
The only additional requirement for you to satisfy at your extension stage would be passing level A2 of CEFR instead of A1.



Get in touch with us now on 01206 489 077 or make an enquiry online to get expert help