Temporary Worker Visa

/ Personal / Temporary worker Visa

Call now & speak to an Expert

Tel: 01206 489 077

or complete our Contact form

Temporary Worker Visa

You will be able to apply for a Tier 5 (Temporary workers) visa if you want to work in the UK for a shorter period of time (12 months or less). In some exceptional cases these visas can be granted for up to 24 months. You can apply for Tier 5 visa if you want to work in the UK in a role such as a charity worker, artist, entertainer, diplomat, or sportsperson.

In order to be granted this type of visa, you are usually required to have a job offer from a licensed Tier 5 UK sponsor, who is able to employ foreign workers, and the relevant Certificate of Sponsorship. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. A select number of countries whose nationals apply through the Youth Mobility Scheme can gain UK entry clearance without a job offer.

There are different categories of Temporary Work Visas and the category most appropriate for you will vary depending on which type of role you are intending to fill in the UK. Please also note, that the additional Youth Mobility Scheme is not exclusively an employment route. You must have a sponsor and a valid certificate of sponsorship. You also need to score 40 points comprising of 30 points from your certificate of sponsorship and 10 points for maintenance funds.

Certificate of Sponsorship

In order to get this visa, UK based employer must sponsor you and also provide you with a certificate of sponsorship. The five areas of work that the Tier 5 (Temporary workers) visa covers are

1: Dependents

Visas can be granted for up to 12 months. Creative workers may apply for an extension for further 12 months if they remain with the same sponsor. If you are applying for a sporting category visa, you need confirmation from an approved governing body of your sport confirming that you will be contributing to your profession at the highest level during your stay in the UK.

2: Charity workers

Visas under this Tier-5 PBS category can be granted for up to 12 months. One of the main requirements of this visa is that you will only be eligible for this visa if you and your sponsor can confirm that you will be undertaking unpaid voluntary work for your sponsor. You will be allowed reasonable reimbursement from your sponsor for expenses incurred in the course of your voluntary activity

3: Religious workers

Visas can be granted for up to 24 months. You and your sponsor must confirm that you are qualified for this position which is required in the UK and you will work only in specified locations and your sponsor can financially support you during your stay in UK.

4: Government Authorized Exchange

Visas can be granted up to 24 months, UK Government has authorized exchange schemes for which foreign workers may temporarily come into the UK.

Exchange schemes must fall into one of these three categories:

1. Work Experience; this will include job-shadowing and internships.
2. Research; this is exclusively for people coming to work temporarily in academic and scientific fields.
3. Training; this is only for those coming to the UK to follow a formal training course in medicine, science, or the armed forces

5: International Agreement

Visas can be granted up to 24 months, this type of visa is available mainly to provide entry and permission to work in the UK to domestic staff in diplomatic households. This route is also designed for individuals wishing to travel to the UK for short-term contracts or engagements, such as actors or musicians on tour, for example. Temporary workers can be accompanied by their entourage.

An applicant under this route will need to be sponsored by a UK business (holding a valid sponsor license) for the duration of their stay.


Get in touch with us now on 01206 489 077 or make an enquiry online to get expert help.