Indefinite Leave to Remain
Indefinite Leave to Remain is a form of settlement available to non-EEA citizens.
Indefinite Leave to Remain also is known as permanent residence application is suitable
for those who intend to stay in the UK and remain here for the foreseeable future.
You need to have spent at least five years in the UK before you can apply for Indefinite
Leave to Remain, though in certain circumstances you can apply after 10 years of lawful
and continuous residence in the UK.
Indefinite Leave to Remain enables a person to live in the UK without any restrictions,
and is the first step towards naturalization and full citizenship.
Most basic requirement for ILR is to have been lawfully living in the UK for a certain
period of time. However, there are other requirements which must be fulfilled too.
General requirements to become eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain are
• Lawful living in the UK for a certain period of time
• No breach of immigration laws during your stay in the UK and no criminal record
• A period of time spent outside the UK which doesn!t exceed 180 days in a 12-
month period during the qualifying period
• “Life in the UK test” pass certificate
• Prove that you meet the B1 level of English as set out by the Common European
Framework of Languages
Certain individuals will not need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain to be granted
with settled UK status.
For example, a child dependent of a British citizen or someone with UK settled status
might be granted permission to stay in the UK indefinitely.
Refugees who have resettled in the UK through the Gateway Protection Program could
be automatically granted permission to stay in the UK.
You will need to include a number of supporting documents, these must be the originals/
scanned copies of the originals. This applies to both yourself, and any dependents who
are applying with you:
• Passport and travel documents, any old passport which was valid
• Birth or adoption certificates
• Marriage certificate [if married]
• Documents which account for any time spent outside of the UK during your
residency, for example travel documents
• A police registration certificate if you were required to register with the police
when you arrived in the UK
• Pass certificate of Life in the UK test
• English Language test [B1 CEFR] pass certificate (unless exempt)
• History of your immigration
• Proof of ongoing employment/self-employment
• Financial information, e.g 3-6 months Bank statements
• Proof of accommodation, e.g Tenancy agreement/few utility bills
Application processing time:
Standard Indefinite Leave to Remain application will be processed within six months.
Current fee for an Indefinite Leave to Remain application is £2,389. For each additional
person in your application, a further £2389 will be charged.
Priority service processes your application within five working days and costs a further
£500, and the super-priority will process your application within one working day,
costing an additional £800.
Get in touch with us now on 01206 489 077 or make an enquiry
online to get expert help.